Wednesday 25 June 2014

I play out scenarios of events in my head - Babajide Guerrero

Fastest rising Nigerian Compere and Master of ceremony, Babajide Guerrero in a recent interview with Tayo Lawal of UnilagHowfar.com, revealed how he prepares for big events, his amazing and embarrassing moments and his experience so far in the Nigerian entertainment industry among others issues discussed. Read the full interview below:

   

To start with who is Babajide Guerrero?

Well, Babajide Guerrero is a Compere, Master of Ceremonies, sports analyst, writer, friend and a brother all rolled into one, maybe i possess another special talent that I’m yet to discover, i like trying new things; languages , few rap lines *chuckles* and all

Where are you from?
Ogun State, Nigeria...

So, what inspired you to talk biz?

Quite a handful of events and few but gifted people too. sometimes i feel i may have been chosen *laughs, as a child, Television was a big deal in another way for me though, while people watched the tv program, i listened to whom was speaking, how it is being said, with what mannerism, i also i never missed a major telecast either news, gala night or the world cup, and Wrestle Mania (yes! WWE provided some inspiration,)

I learnt and i still a great deal from my environment, people and major events that shape the world, but majorly am a product of prints and visuals, not only did i buy materials, but also borrowed a lot, but names that will forever be on my lips: JERRY SPRINGER @the Miss World beauty contest in 2001, JIM ROSS @wrestle Mania 19 and forever more...SONI IRABOR with SONI IRABOR LIVE, and a couple of others MOZEZ PRAIZ , GRANDMASTER BASORGE....all these people and more at some point has inspired, not the money but the need to be different and stand out.

Guerrero and Ricardo Agbor

How long have you been in the MC, compere, and Radio and Television experience?

I remember making an appearance on the defunct Minaj Broadcasting International, Lagos when i was 14, but my professional voyage to sports broadcasting started in 2010, as a freelance sport analyst with Galaxy TV, from then onward by God's mercies, I’ve done my bit in navigating my path to major platforms both (radio and television houses) in the country; to where i am and where i still intend exploring. 

But as a Compere, I may have gained the perfect ground for prominence in 2011, as i partook and came in 3rd runner up in the University of Lagos Debate, and the Lagos State inter-tertiary debate and also the South western Nigerian Debate won in the subsequent year, i must confess these events shaped my wit, humor, diction word play and great understanding of timing and protocols all necessary ingredients in the making of compere, i still have bosses though, but so far so good, it's been super-rewarding on all fronts.

Guerrero and Veteran Nollywood actor Kanayo O. Kanayo

How was your starting stage as MC?

ewooooo, i saw things, i heard more, (laughs).... Challenging, very difficult to convince clients about how better you can make their events look, as sometimes they want the 'big names' who you'd agree with me started small, but in your case, they feel they can ;give the 'platforms' while you dare not mention remuneration, hence you hear stuffs like : 'we are broke, so will you do it'? or 'some big people are coming, and am sure they may like to see someone BIG so we are sorry, but I'd keep you in mind', but it took a while just like Rome, the acceptance level has immensely increased (positively) and the name(BABAJIDE GUERRERO) i hear may have travelled to the places i'm yet to be @ sef..all thanks to the giver of life.

Babajide Guerrero with Kate Henshaw

We hear as a compere, you are unique in a lot of ways, want to share with us us Whatmakes you different from others? 

I will continue to give obeisance to the bosses and a phalanx of seasoned professionals that makes the game tick, maybe the fact that i pick things easily, thus making my learning process interesting, i watch a whole lot, and thus make use of the things i learn....i may present a fine blend of 'presence', crisp words, wit and humor balanced with superb grace and culture all delivered consummately, perhaps that's what they meant...


What kind of event do you host as an emcee?

Wedding receptions, Conferences, Symposiums, Auction sales, Gala nights, Awards and dinner nights, Annual General Meetings, Seminars, babajide guerrero has the required skill set to deliver at any capacity. 

Tell us about the Biggest events you've anchored 

hmmm....quite a handful, I appreciate all clients over the years but truly all jobs are never the same, different kinds but let me say the INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT Conference, The Iyanya and Tripple MG Concert, The World Environmental Day Celebration for the Lagos State Government, The Reception ceremony of the conferment of a honorary title on CHIEF DANIYAN, The Nigerian Youth Initiative Summit :the role of foreign and local investors in building a substantive economic growth and development, The Alpha-PSY Awards, and I'm the voice of the BANKOLE OLUMIDE ALUKO LAWYERS' LEAGUE and host of others.


How do you prepare for a big event?

interestingly, most of the times i play out possible scenarios of the event in my head, from start to finish, i quickly find answers (and also I prepare for scenarios that are not part of the plans as well), with me, most events are already hosted in my head, the actual performance is all but a replay, I speak silently to my mind, and then commit everything to God before i go on stage.... a lot of people have stuffs that works for them, some real, others virtual....

Guerrero with TripleMG Records' first lady Emma Nyra

Most Embarrassing moment or an ugly experience you recall as an emcee

now i have been fortunate not to have gotten rotten apples on my face, that i thank God for, because i have watched one or two emcees get to feel the wrath of the audience, and trust me when i say it wasn't a nice sight. for now I haven't got any to tell....yet!, but maybe they should just throw me money instead of oranges or bananas ...

Guerrero with Veteran Human Rights Lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN)

You are still an Undergraduate of The University of Lagos, How do you merge school with career?

yeah correct, at the time of this interview yes, but not in another 4 months. it may be a cliché, but it's a true one :'nothing good comes easy'. it being difficult yet easy, interesting and nerve-jerking,an adventure, but then the TWO in ONE thing that has made it more convenient for me is PRIORITIZING and TIME MANAGEMENT, i've pulled off some master strokes ( like Federer and Nadal you can add) with those two. + baba God has favored me and blessed me with the good fortune of having great people, colleagues and elders around me, but i'd say it works for me, it may not work for another person.


Single Or Married?

haba, na wetin? you wan marry me? ...still single, when the time comes, i'm pretty certain the time will come.

To what? mingle or marry?

(jokingly) what's your own sef...*laughs....to marry am sure, but we need set out at the perfect time for the perfect miss.

As young, good looking emcee with an impressive suave, How do you handle your female fans?

I think I've coped well with the female folks, fans are the business, they help keep you on your toes, and they can take you off it likewise, most especially the females who form the bulk of my fan base, but treating them 'wisely' is key and understanding the dynamics of their attention and love for what you do.

What do you look out for in your dream woman?

i'm all about values: integrity, honesty, self-worth, and many other qualities that makes her good not for the now, but for the tomorrow, now please don't get me wrong ooo, she must be good looking, (at least for the sake of our children), but my bread is baked in values.


Mentor(s) and role model (s)?

MOZEZ PRAIZ, BASORGE TARIAH (THE GRANDMASTER) Uncle SONI IRABOR, these men spotted and help nurtured me directly or indirectly; by watching them work, dinning with them, i am consistently reminded that there is nothing lost to hardwork and self development.

Hobbies and Favorite Food 

my dearest plantains and eggs, it's immaculate, and pounded yam and egusi soup hmmmm... i play a lot of football, i talk the talk, and i can also walk the walk, chess and scrabble too, and computer games (did i hear FIFA 14, you are spot on).

Advice for youths battling with education and their using their talent

You may want to throw in the towel the next minute, but when you think of the impact you will make in this world, you should reconsider, this world needs that talent, just keep pushing, it's rough and difficult but try to find a balance between using your talent and schooling, and seal it with GOD, and you'd have a greater tomorrow.

Can we say that you have gotten to your peak?

Not at all, I'm just getting started, I believe self-development is as crucial as oxygen, I'd keep pushing, working hard.

Use the comment box below to share your thought
&
Stay in touch with Tayo Lawal for more updates:

BBM: 7F5E7367
Twitter: @TayorLawal
Instagram: TayoLawal
Facebook Page: facebook.com/unilaghowfar

2 comments: